Our customer required an engineering solution for an adjustable fixing that secured the rear spoiler to a luxury 4×4 vehicle.
The main requirement of the assembly was to anchor the rear spoiler on to the vehicle. Sufficient adjustment to enable the spoiler surface to be matched to the body profile was also required.
We needed to overcome a number of challenges for this particular project, which included:
- Identifying a suitable prevailing torque feature
- Designing and fabricating jigs and fixtures to control and check the gap
- Developing and creating jigs and fixtures to spin the rivet stud end
- Pre-production trials revealed the plastic nut would ‘recover’ after assembly, resulting in the gap dimension changing
- Testing and modifying the assembly process to optimise the results